Chimney Safety in Meredith
Owning a fireplace in Meredith adds warmth and relaxation to any home or business. Keeping your fireplace and chimney well-maintained and making sure that your system is inspected by a licensed professional chimney sweep at least once a year is essential to continued enjoyment and its energy efficiency. Michael Champion Roofing technicians provide professional chimney maintenance and repair services that keep your fuel burning system safe and protected from fire and other hazards.
Chimney Cleaning and Inspection
If your chimney is blocked with debris, unwanted wildlife or filled with accumulated soot and creosote, it may be time for a thorough cleaning to prevent chimney fires. Creosote is a flammable substance that impedes proper air flow through the chimney flue and if not removed regularly can become a dangerous fuel that can ignite set off a serious chimney fire that damages roof components and the structural integrity of your property in Meredith. Michael Champion Roofing chimney sweeps are fully experienced and equipped with the latest industry technology to clean your chimney following a thorough inspection that offers both protection and peace of mind.
Benefit from certified expertise from our team of certified chimney experts who recommend the following chimney safety tips:
Install a chimney cap – Install a chimney cap on chimney flues to keep out rain , snow , debris and wildlife that could obstruct proper air flow and trap prevent harmful toxic emissions from being released safely.
Select the appropriate wood for your fireplace – Untreated firewood that has been stored away from moisture for several months is ideal. Never burn painted wood or scrap lumber and make sure to dispose of ashes in a metal container.
Do not use fire starters - Use only manufacturer approved fire starts when lighting a fire. Lighter fluid or gasoline should never be used due to the residues that some of these accelerants can leave behind making your system more prone to chimney fire.
Ensure adequate clearance from the fireplace – A foot or two away from the fireplace may seem like a wide enough distance to prevent furniture or other household objects from catching fire, yet repeated heat exposure can cause a high enough temperature in any item to cause combustion. Michael Champion Roofing recommends placing any item at least 36 inches away from a fireplace to ensure safety.
Use fireplace screens and glass doors – Always keep glass doors open for ventilation when using a fireplace but keep fireplace screens closed when a fireplace is in operation. Flying sparks from a roaring fire can easily cause burn in a carpet, furniture or anyone standing or sitting nearby.
Make sure smoke detectors are working and install a carbon monoxide detector - Unless your home or business in Meredith has one of the latest fireplace models that are already equipped with a carbon monoxide detection system, make sure you have both for maximum protection. Since carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, many property owners who have not kept up with regular chimney maintenance will remain unaware of any toxic gas emissions that can cause serious health problems and even death.
Contact a Michael Champion Roofing’s certified chimney sweep for more information and to schedule a licensed fireplace inspection to stay safe.